I was reading in Genesis today and came to some begats. You know Noah begat Shem, Shem begat Astrix, Astrix begat Oblex and on it goes until we got to Abraham. The thing I found interesting was that Shem begat Astrix and lived 500 more years. If you add all the years till Abraham its only like 290 years from Shem. Abraham lived 175 years for a total of 465 years from the time Astrix was born till Abraham died. Shem was still alive after Abraham died! Where was he? What was he doing? Did he travel with Abraham? Was he a mentor to him? Did he stay back in UR and become an oracle? He was the last of the ancients in the world, he must have some wisdom to share.
The Bible is interesting, it only relays so much about the person. A story here a story there, enough to impart a message and then they fall off the face of the earth as if they never exsisted. As a VERY amature historian I love to know the stories behind the stories. What were they like, what did they do. The Bible however does not lend itself to this. I mean we don't REALLY know what Jesus' life was actually like. I guess it'll be fun to get to heaven and ask all the little nitpicky questions that have bugged me over the years. Or (and more likely) I won't care anymore.
Either way it's just a little interesting tidbit that bugged me this morning.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Does the bible not say that it would take many books to record all of the exploits of Jesus. It would be interesting if the Holy Spirit would open up to us more of the details of all human living, past, present and future. The more we understand about each other the better.
Two things....first of all, I think we WILL care about all the "nitpicky questions" we have. It will be wonderful to learn people's stories - how they trusted God in the hard times and in the good times - how God provided and protected. We will be able to see not only the life people lived on earth and the things they did, we will be able to see what GOD did in their and our lives. It would take an eternity to learn everyone's stories - beginning with Adam and Eve. Those people in the early times lived for a LONG time - there will be lots of stories to learn in each of their lives.
Secondly....Remember the book "Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick? It is a fictional account, based on Bible and known history of the lives of Adam up to Abraham and including Noah. The story gives some interesting food for thought. Like the fact that it took Noah 120 years to build the ark - that is long enough to raise the trees needed for the lumber! Ever think of that? You would probably really enjoy that book, Rob, if you haven't read it already. It is not very big -an easy read, it is included in SonLight's Level 6 curriculum so that means it is about Jr. High level.
I have read that book, and it was very interesting. I actually wouldn't mind reading it again though.
Whaada'ya mean Shem begat Astrix and Astrix begat Oblex? Hey, I went and looked it up.
Levi was just asking me a question when we were driving home from somewhere the other night. He wanted to know how Moses knew about Adam. I told him we'd have to read that book. Now I'll have to go look for it for sure.
(He'll be so excited that Noah was Astrix dad. It's his favorite comix! LOL)
Post a Comment