Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Lion, The Witch and the What is a Wardrobe?

Over the last month or so we have been reading Emma "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". She has LOVED the book to say the least and absorbed it quite well to the point that while we were reading she was drawing what was happening in the story and was able to tell us little details. We finished reading it to her on Monday night. Tuesday night I pulled out the old recorded version of the cartoon allowing the girls to watch it (Emma is allowed to watch the real version on the weekend with us).

Emma was so excited and thoroughly enjoyed it. She made me so proud when she was watching it and would make comments like, "Tumnus didn't have a red face!" SHE HAS AN IMAGINATION!! Elizabeth got really into the movie too. When the witch kills Aslan she started to cry. Not scared tears, sad tears. She was very sad from it. I guess this is what it is like to have girls. The tears were all gone in a few minutes when Aslan came back to life. Thankfully C.S. was writting to children and didn't leave them in suspence for too long. And in case you're wondering Sophie lost interest pretty quickly and didn't even finish watching it.

Emma will be posting a book report on here soon for school. Next up we will go to the "Magician's Nephew".

13 comments:

Mike and Tor said...

How awesome! That's such a great idea to have her draw out what she sees in her mind before watching it on movie!
Don't worry Elizabeth, aunty Tor cried when she saw the witch kill Aslan too.
Emma, I can't wait to see your book report!
Love you guys!

Vinjelu and Kathryn Muyaba said...

Ohhh, that makes me so excited to have kids too. It's so amazing. Lana ur one of my models moms, seriously, it's amazing what you do with the girls, and the endless time you spend pouring into them. Keep it up, they are gorwing into intellegent, girls who love Jesus.

Emma I'm SOOOOOO excited to read your report!

I was thinking we could maybe make a plan for the grils to come visit us for a weekend. I dont' know how it could work, we could definatly meet half way or somthing. I get off work at 3 on Fridays, so we could go straight from work to I don't knwo where the middle is between red deer and calgary olds?

anyway, let me know

Luv Kath

Karyn said...

Some of my favorite memories of your childhoods is reading aloud - ESPECIALLY the Narnia books - and especially to Rob. (He really got into them - remember pretending you were High King Peter when we were on hikes in Kin Kanyon, Rob?)

I love it that Emma "knows" what Tumnus is "supposed" to look like! She might like the BBC version of the movie better than the Hollywood version - it is more true to the book and less scary.

Just think, guys, you get to read this series aloud at least once more, to the other girls! Lucky you.

Read aloud is the best excuse to re-live stories we loved as children. (Sort of like watching cartoon movies with the kids is a good excuse to watch them ourselves - only books are better)

Rob... said...

It was fun to read the book aloud because I could remember the dialogue from the movie as it was taken almost right from the book. I was able to use the same inflection that charachters used. And I figuered that the BBC versions would be good too. Though I really hated them and thought that they butchered the books. =)

Jan said...

I remember being at the Hutchinson house and hearing chunks of the books read when I was young. It is so nice to have a tradition like that and to keep some of these old but wonderful stories alive for more generations to enjoy!

I still haven't seen the new movie- in my abundance of spare time, I just haven't had a chance, but I am looking ofrward to seeing it soon. I've heard that it is good.

Mike and Tor said...

Ya Janice, it's a good movie. You should check it out, just have kleenex around for when Aslan is killed.
I saw it in the theaters and had to stop myself from sobbing out loud.

Vinjelu and Kathryn Muyaba said...

He lana, I know you didn't say anything about the weekend, so I am assuming it won;t work out for this week. Vinjelu reminded me that we are going to a Wine and Cheese thing on Saturday night anyway.... so think weekedn won't work. But he is game for next weekend, he would love to have the girls. We were thinking of taking them for a day trip to the moutains possibly... depending on the weather. Anyway just call or post on the blog.

Luv Kath

Rob... said...

sorry I didn't say anything yet Kath, but whenever you figure out a weekend that works just let me know. We work until at least five on fridays but are very willing to meet you somewhere after that. A weekend alone with rob is always appealing!

Karyn said...

Rob - The BBC movies did NOT butcher the books! They did a much better job than Hollywood in that respect. The thing you didn't like was the video quality. Personally, I think the Hollywood version did not include enough of Aslan and didn't convey his personality and character very well. The BBC version does an EXCELLENT job of Aslan in that respect. The actual portrayal of Aslan is not as realistic because of the lack of today's computer animation capabilities.

Rob... said...

Not to mention the actors were so bad that I could barely watch it.

Karyn said...

Guess you were too old to not notice and too young to overlook that aspect. I still think Emma would enjoy the BBC version better. The new one is quite scarey with not alot to redeem it. except for the cinematography

Mike and Tor said...

I've never seen the BBC one's, but I know that the new one is pretty scary for little kids. Tyler saw a bit of it at a friends house (before he got caught because he wasn't allowed) and he had nightmares about it for a week after. They portray the evil in the movie very well....so even though the storyline ends in good, you may want to watch it once yourselves before you decide to let Emma see it.

Rob... said...

Well we watched the new one on the weekend. It wasn't too scary for the her. But after reading the book so soon and then watching the movie I did see where it differed from teh book. Where the book Lucy was the main character in the movie Peter is focused upon. Not that it is wrong, just different. They also took some cinematic liberties with it. After watching the Cartoon which is virtually word for word the same there are alot of differences. I still like it better because I'm a big sucker for cinematogrophy. BUT, like you said I'm sure that Emma would love the BBC versions of the books. Especially after we've read Caspian and Dawn Treader and there are no other movies for that.

My biggest problem that I had with those films was Lucy. Lucy is portraied in those films as a whiny, obnoxious little girl. Lucy in the books is so far from that it's not even funny. I was never to get over that.

Anyway, like I said we'll still borrow it because Emma will still love it, and we'll need to borrow the rest of the books too.