Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's Going on with Lana

Well, it has been weeks since venturing onto the blogs, okay mabye months. I found it very entertaining getting caught up on everyone and feeling "connected" again. It has been a bit of a tough transition getting used to the back to school schedule. That simply means that I have the day home running all day, mon-fri without the extra holidays that come in the summer. As most of you know I have two little girls in the house, 3 and 4 years old, and they fit in well with the family. It's just one big princess party after another round here.woo-hoo.
This week we actually had a boy in the house... a 9-month-old named Clint who occupies all five girls for hours when he is awake. Poor guy, whenever he sees me he acts like i'm a lifesaver, saving him from all the girls. They all try to mother him at the same time. Having a baby around has been nice, getting to do things like feeding him and rocking him to sleep, but knowing if i had another one it would probably be a girl keeps my baby urges in check! Just kidding, but filling the house with extra kids does take away all tedencies towards making my life busier.
Before, during, and after the day home is school. Emma and i are doing our rookie year of homeschool, and I have to say that I've probably learned more than her so far,as I am very quickly "un-learning" school. It's hard to believe how litte formal school time a first grader needs. I definitely feel like she's not sitting in a desk long enough to learn anything, but according to homeschoolers she's probably learning more that way. This week, for instance, she had a great, hands-on lesson in baby care. Bed-making and obedience have also been in the curriculum. It's taken some getting used to, but I am reading lots of literature on how to teach and stuff so I am learnig everyday.(also getting confused, but that's not hard for me)
So that's what I've been doing, computer time is something I don't get a lot of, but I will try to keep posted!

7 comments:

Mike and Tor said...

Hey Lan,
Thanks for coming on and giving us an update on what you've been doing. Sounds busy...and fun. That poor little boy - nothing but estrogen comin at him. Lol.

Geraldine said...

Hey Lana, wow..i continue to admire you and applaud your amazing abilities. You are supermom! (start wearing a cape and some red boots..lol) The Lord most certainly has blessed you and given you amazing talents. Not everyone can do what you do, you have been given a gift, a gift to love and reach children and your job is the greatest job of all, mom!
If you need any help with ideas for school projects and grade one curriculum don't be afraid to ask. I do know some stuff about it..lol...and next week I get my own class of grade ones to teach until Christmas! So lets help each other out, k?
I love you and miss you!!

Rob... said...

Hey Tanya, I'd like Lana to wear that cape and red boots too. ;)

Vinjelu and Kathryn Muyaba said...

Lan this stuff is really good to hear. I knwo even though mom did it for all these years it will be a different story for me to be taching and coming up with curriculum and all that stuff. It's good to hear how you are going through it, some of the prosses and stuff. Gives me an idea of what I might go through!

The idea of experiancail learning is really good, and actually proven to work in southern Africa. The children in Southern Africa have so much time with their moms frst of all in the first 6 months, and as well playing outside discovering things, it's been said that their brains develope in the most healthy way as children. So experiance and discoveries about life and things is VERY important I guess.

Talk to ou later.
Kathryn

Karyn said...

Just to clear things up a bit....I tried to teach Kathryn to spell, but her brain is always going too fast to stop and worry about details like spelling. Heavy sigh.

Lana - thanks for the update. You have really grown into your role as wife/mother/homemaker. I'm so proud of you. As you add the role of homeschooler, remember that you didn't earn that red cape and boots overnight....it'll take a bit of time to earn the accessories of the "homeschooler supermom". :) Of course, you can see my tongue in my cheek here, can't you? There is no such thing as SuperMom and certainly no Homeschool Supermom. It is only by God's Grace that we become the Moms and Wives He has intended us to be. And, we always make mistakes here and there. With that in mind, keep reading but keep in mind that The Holy Spirit knows best what philosophies and methods will work best for you and Robert. Not every idea that you read about will work for you. Don't be afraid to say "Well, that was interesting, but it's not for me". The Holy Spirit will stir up excitement in your spirit when you read about the ideas He wants you to use in your homeschool. It is too easy to be overwhelmed by ideas and methods if we think that we need to incorporate all of them. Once you know which direction He wants you to go in, narrow your reading to those philosophies and methods. As I've said before, you don't need to make that decision this year. Make sure to get the Charlotte Mason books next time you are at our house.

BTW how long are you caring for the baby? Is he a new, full time "client" or were you just filling in for someone else?

Vinjelu and Kathryn Muyaba said...

mom, I know I am a failure in spelling... and it's true I don't really care on the blogs... and I type to fast (with my two fingers.)

But I have good things to say at least... you can be proud of that one:) I remeber I was always a bit jelous of Jessica and her amazing spelling skills...

anyway,
kath

Karyn said...

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Kathryn. It's a fact of life - you just go too fast to stop and notice. Some people are natural spellers, some are not.